Mark Z Danielewski.

Yes I may be being abit self indulgent with my research, having already included Storm Thorgerson but I couldn't resist bringing up one of my favourite authors, Mark Z Danielewski. Rather than conforming to traditional inspiring young experimental writers such as Ben Brooks, viewing his writing as more than just words on a page and more of a literary art work experience has seen Danielewski's work generate a huge cult following.
The first book of his I read was House of Leaves centering around the experience protagonist Johnny Truant has when he stumbles accross a strange journal, the book takes up the mantle of the journal and uses various typesetting techniques as well as numerous other ingenious devices such as sheet music, foreign language and cryptic puzzles in order to plunge the reader into the world of the 'House of Leaves'.

The second book I read and arguably his best known due to inspiring the latest album by 'Biffy Clyro' is 'Only Revolutions', a conceptual story from two perspectives, with the first perspective 'Haley' reading from front to back and the second 'Sam' reading from back to front or which ever way you pick the book up.


Again, as with Thorgerson, a lot of the work is irrelevant to my practice, but key elements such as the sense of space and focus of Thorgerson's work and the sense of involvement and mysticism of Danielewski's work are things I feel work incredibly well and if I could include or use them to inspire own elements of my own work i would be very pleased.