Where To Go From Here?


Having not defined my practice as such I am still an Interdisciplinarist, which at this point in time suits me just fine
rather than starting again completley from the last project I am instead

Video

non formulaic

Arthur C. Clarke






an amalgumation of elements not true to once particular environment
the notion of escapism and disorientation is highly featured in this short story
alluding to a baron alien landscape that ties in well with the aesthetic of my previous project


using the conceptual notions of the piece and emphasising


heighten the sense


but how i achieve such a disorientating landscape remains to be seen.


with my last project the strongest elements were going out into a landscape,not knowing what I was doing  which resulted in great results,
with this project i want to stick to a similar formula but due to the project being inspired by the short story there is a danger that i may get too bogged down inr ealising what is written
This is something I am very concious of and not too worried about as it is more the feelings of the text rather than the prose itself that i am inspired by.


authorship?


how to envisage this utopian dreamscape whilst not getting too corny, I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE A SCI-FI FILM!




My FMP proposal aims to take into account past difficulties and successes and embody this within a pertinent and cohesive Final Piece/ Series.

A progression from the concepts employed in my ‘Presence through Absence’ series, both in terms of concept and media, much of my practice that has developed up to this point will remain constant, but will be adapted to a much higher standard taking into account past failings. Established practice documentation such as my website and blog which has worked well will hopefully become much more relative and critically aware. Work techniques will hark back to the beginning period of my last project whereupon experimentation was key and being out in the environment, which the work is created in, will prove crucial.

The main difference with this work is that rather than a brief as such, the project has been inspired by a short story from sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke’s ‘The Other Side of The Sky’, in particular the description of a landscape described within his story ‘Transience’. This is not to say that the project will be based upon said work and that my piece will aim on replicating this environment, I am merely using this as a starting point as the ‘white cube’ theory of my last work inspired what in the end bore little resemblance to.

Identifying area’s of focus in terms of disciplines employed will not pre-empt any ideas for work, just allow me to formulate more ambitious and deeper plans whilst still retaining the spontaneity of improvisation whilst creating work. After utilizing photography throughout my previous work, shifting the format of the piece through to video work will allow me much greater scope in term’s of what can be done with the piece and will act as damage limitation to prevent me from stalling and stagnating which happened on the previous project. Taking into consideration here the realms of possibilities surrounding exactly what the video will be, I again will let this be a natural progression as I do not want to set myself any boundaries and as previous, just want to ‘go and produce work’. The format and presentation of the final piece will come naturally and if anything this unknown to aim for will spur me on, as opposed to being lost and stuck on my last project.

An aspect I am keen to experiment with, as a way of further adding the emotions the description alludes to is sound work.
I am guitarist and as such would like to interpret the idea’s in a musical sense whilst using the college’s recently acquired sound booth to capture improvisations made in response to the excerpt and then see how these excerpts could work either as a standalone work themselves or as an accompanying soundtrack to the work.
I am keen to see if this will add another dimension to my practice and hope it will affect my work in a positive manner whilst boosting the professional outcome of my work and in turn allowing myself more control over each element of my work.

These very loose propositions will I hope help to focus my practice and consolidate what I have learnt into a stringent and conceptually rich FMP, which will no doubt morph into something else along the way. I am feeling very confident and ready to start work on this project, and as demonstrated in the start I made to my previous project, this is when I have found myself to be most creative, using the aforementioned idea’s to further stimulate activity and give new avenue’s of exploration will help me to keep the momentum going and when added together proposes to be an FMP that both sums up my practice and simultaneously pushes it further.