A4 Show Preparation.

On Friday 10th December the course is holding a preview of the new winter exhibition, but this year it will have a twist.
Rather than last years 'Art and Stuff' event which was used as a showcase of current briefs, the new show asks artists to respond to the brief of 'A4'.
Whilst encouraged to keep the submitted work of some relevance to current briefs, the submitted work must conform to the dimensions of A4. Wether this be one piece or several, paper or other material once the strictness of the format is explored there appears to be a lot more than first glance. 


I originally thought of making a film piece of my 'Presence through Absence' work, and projecting it A4 size, but thought of this as being too obvious and boring and thought I should challenge myself more.


After an initial meeting with Cheryl confirmed that it is not essentially about creating something A4 sized, rather exploring the concept and the way in which it could be interpretted I went back to the drawing board and came up with something i feel will be visually interesting.






After my research on Wolfgang Tilmans, (his succesfull work that is not his Liverpool bienniel 'muddle'), and my urge to display images in a new style, I have taken the opportunity of using the A4 show to do so.




My idea is to create 12 identical individual A4 frames each housing the same image printed on acetate with the contrast of each image differing, so that when placed in front of one another on the wall they will allow the viewer to look through what should be a changing image.
I have decided to use this image taken from my Ilkley Moor work as I find it to be a really interesting image with a great tonal range that I hope will work well with the piece I plan to create.
The piece itself is inspired by one of my favourite works, Gerhard Richter's 11 Scheiben (11 Panes), which I unsuccessfully tried to incorporate into a previous project and now feel a variation of it would make a really interesting piece and conform to the A4 stimulus.
As the Richter piece is made out of panes of glass in order to create an image rather than house it, it remains to be seen what effect my interpretation using acetate will have, another interesting example of layered imagery is this by Chinese artist Xia Xiao Wan, for whom the glass are a canvas on which to paint onto.

Using a CNC wood router to cut out frames at the specified dimensions I am then going to use threaded rod to affix the frames infront of one other in order to keep them at an equal distance and consistency they will be screwed in place along the structure and attached to a backplate which will then be drilled into the exhibiting wall.



I estimate next week to be a very busy week indeed, and whilst I am only signed up for curation I am happy to help out in other area's to ensure the set up is done in time.